Columbus Blue Jackets center Max Domi underwent successful shoulder surgery Thursday to repair a labral tear. According to Blue Jackets general manager, Jarmo Kekalainen, Domi had been having trouble with the shoulder for some time. That may have contributed to an underwhelming season for the usually reliable Domi. With the Columbus Blue Jackets already in need of center help, does the Domi news force the Blue Jackets to trade for a center?
In recent days the Columbus Blue Jackets have been linked to Buffalo Sabers center Sam Reinhart. The Sabers are in desperate need of a goalie. The Columbus Blue Jackets have two goalies as well as very good depth in the organization. So trading either Elvis Merzlikins or Joonas Korpisalo for Reinhart would work for both teams.
Max Domi is expected to miss 5-6 months which means he will miss the start of the regular season as he is looking for a November return. Domi struggled this season with 9 goals, 15 assists, 24 points, 75 penalty minutes in 54 games in 2020-21.
As stated it is unknown at this time what role the shoulder injury played in Max Domi’s season. Domi did begin to play better as the season moved along but never reached the level of past seasons. At just 26 years old Domi is far from a declining player.
The Columbus Blue Jackets are in dire straits at center. The team needs a top line center in the worst way. Now with Domi being shelved for the start of the 2021-22 NHL season the Blue Jackets need a second line center as well. A position that a player like Sam Reinhart could fill.
In what has already shaped up to be a busy offseason for the Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen and President of Hockey Operations, John Davidson, The Max Domi injury may have added to the busyness.
For a team that finished a playoff streak of four years, yet had a disappointing season, the Columbus Blue Jackets still have pieces in place to retool or rebuild the roster. Yesterday the NHL held their annual Draft Lottery. When the ping-pong ball came up with the Blue Jackets logo on it, the team won a top five pick.
Columbus Blue Jackets General Manager, Jarmo Kekalainen spoke to the media shortly after the Blue Jackets found out their draft fate. Kekalainen said a few things of interest. First he said there is very good talent in the first seven picks. NHL experts agree. Kekalainen also hinted the team could very well trade one of their three first round picks in order to strengthen the roster.
While it seems likely the Columbus Blue Jackets will trade defensemen Seth Jones this summer, the return will be huge. The Blue Jackets need scoring. In the worst way. Before I dive into a couple of players I think Columbus would be wise in taking at #5, let me get this out of the way. The Blue Jackets should re-sign Patrik Laine to a max-deal. He is simply too good to trade away. The Blue Jackets should build they’re offense around him.
Teams at the top of the draft are desperate for defense. So the top defensive players will be off the board before pick #5. The Blue Jackets have a solid defensive crop so they do not need to address that early on. So who could come in and have a chance to impact the Blue Jackets offense as early as this season? Let’s take a look.
William Eklund, Center, Eklund is one of if not the top Swedish prospects. A very good dual threat center with natural offensive instincts, Eklund was one of the top scoring 18 year old forwards in SHL history and earned the league’s Rookie of the Year award.
Eklund is NHL ready and the Blue Jackets need help at the center position. In time Eklund should grow into a top line center. But, coming to a new league it is likely he will bounce from the second and third lines if he is the Blue Jackets selection.
Next is a player who I believe the Columbus Blue Jackets should draft. Dylan Guenther, Right Wing (RW), Where to start with this phenomenally elite prospect?
First off no matter where he is on the ice Dylan Guenther is a threat to score. A forward with soft hands and sharp hand eye coordination, Guenther is a sniper when shooting the puck and deadly with his passes. In the defensive end this two-way player is also elite. Guenther projects as an NHL star.
So with the 2021 NHL Draft coming next month, the Blue Jackets are doing their homework. But the two players I identified William Eklund and Dylan Guenther are both NHL ready prospects who can help immediately.
In a scene all too familiar another big name Columbus Blue Jackets player wants out of Columbus. We have heard Blue Jacket players say they love the city of Columbus. They very well might. But the bigger name players say it and then leave. Be it by trade or they leave as a free agent. It is difficult at times to be a fan of a team that begins to look good only to lose a star player. It is time for the organization to buck that trend.
In order for big name players to both stay in Columbus and want to play for the Blue Jackets a big name coach needs to be brought in. With all do respect to Brad Larson (long time Blue Jackets assistant coach) he is not a name that exactly entices players to stay or come.
John Tortorella was a fine coach. He was also a coach that chased a lot of big names out of Columbus due to his over-the-top brash coaching style. Yes, Tortorella won a lot of games, but the Blue Jackets could have won more if he had backed down a bit.
The Columbus Blue Jackets, President of Hockey Operations, John Davidson and general manager Jarmo Kekalainen have options as far as big name coach’s and assistants who are ready to be head coach’s.
Marco Strom, 3 year assistant coach with the Los Angeles Kings, Igor Larionov, Russian National Team and 2 time Stanley Cup champion with the Detroit Red Wings, While Rick Tocchet, Bruce Boudreau, Todd Nelson and Gerard Gallant have all been successful NHL head coach’s.
In order for the Blue Jackets to take the next step and be a serious playoff contending team, then a big name head coach is needed. Players like having someone who has been there and done that. A coach who can relate to them as well as allow them the comfort of knowing the organization is in good hands.
A big name head coach should be the top priority this summer in Columbus. This will help players who are restricted free agents decide if they want to sign a long-term deal with the team. Players like Patrik Laine, Alexander Texier, and others.
Having a proven head coach would ease a lot of the issues that have come about in recent years.
The Sequel Star Wars Trilogy was supposed to reignite the Star Wars fans base. In the end, the highly anticipated set of films divided and angered fans. In a recent interview Sequel Trilogy director JJ Abrams said he should have had a direction for the Trilogy. Star Wars creator, George Lucas also chimed in that he expected to have more say in the films.
George Lucas is said to have been upset with the way original Star Wars characters, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia were handled by Disney in the Sequel Trilogy. Lucas was also upset at the lack of direction the films had.
In what came as somewhat of a surprise, George Lucas said that he had actually began to write a Star Wars Sequel Trilogy in which Princess Leia was “the chosen one” and Darth Maul’s apprentice Darth Talon was the main villain.
Fans began to wonder if Lucas was indeed returning to Star Wars when he showed up on the set of the smash hit “The Mandalorian.” Lucas also has a writing credit on “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” upcoming prequel streaming show “Andor.”
Now there is strong rumor that Lucas himself is fronting money for a new Star Wars Trilogy. If this rumor is in fact more than a rumor that means Lucas is taking creative control away from current Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy. When he sold Lucasfilm to Disney, there was a clause that he could return to Star Wars if he wanted to. It now appears he does.
It is just a rumor at this time, yet it has teeth. Neither Lucasfilm or The Disney Company have confirmed or denied the rumor. While there is no known story development for George Lucas’s rumored new Star Wars Trilogy it has been confirmed he was writing one. Given how Disney mishandled legendary characters, Lucas may have to go a different route if his plan included one of them.
This would be a good move by George Lucas if he is taking control back. It would be wise of Disney/Lucasfilm to give him more control.
In what feels like a broken record, yet another big name player wants out of Columbus Ohio. Defensemen, Seth Jones. This feels like a huge blow and from a PR standpoint it is. Recently Matt Duchene, Artemi Panarin, Sergei Bobrovsky and now Seth Jones have or will have all left the Columbus Blue Jackets organization by this summer. Unlike Panarin, Jones is giving plenty of notice. Jones will likely be traded soon.
This is not in any way sour grapes. Seth Jones is a very steady and for the most part solid defensive player. Well he was, the past two seasons Jones has not been very good. Don’t believe me? Take a look at the graph.
Seth Jones doesn't want to re-sign with Columbus after next year? Probably a good thing for the Blue Jackets tbh pic.twitter.com/5XxPmj7PwV
As stated Seth Jones is a steady and for the most part solid player. Seth Jones is not elite and has not played like a top defensemen the past two seasons. For whatever reason.
Could he rebound? Sure he could. But Jones at his very best still falls short of other defensive players like Victor Hedman (Tampa Bay), Charlie McAvoy (Boston), Alex Pietrangelo ( St. Louis) and others. Yet the Columbus Blue Jackets by all accounts were prepared to offer Jones a max deal 8 years at $8.5 per-season and word is they were also ready to offer the captaincy to him as well.
President of Hockey Operations, John Davidson said he wants players who want to be in Columbus. Players like Cam Atkinson, Jack Rovsovic and others. With Jones leaving it is my opinion the Blue Jackets should enter a total rebuild.
If they choose and if he is willing to play through a rebuild, then the Blue Jackets could offer defensive player Zack Werenski a max deal and build around his talents.
The Blue Jackets could tear it all down and trade all assets for prospects and draft picks which would mean trading Werenski, Atkinson, Jones (which they will) and Patrik Laine.
One thing that would help the Blue Jackets not only hold onto players but attract free agents is to offer more max deals. Players like to have security. The Columbus Blue Jackets would be wise in transforming into an organization that offers that.
The trade, the Columbus Blue Jackets sent forward Pierre-Luc Dubois to the Winnipeg Jets for Patrik Laine and Jack Roslovic. Laine was the marquee name. Yet it was Columbus Ohio native Jack Roslovic that had a big impact on the Blue Jackets. If Laine did not come in the trade Roslovic would have been the feel good story of the NHL.
Even playing in Winnipeg, Jack Roslovic made no bones about the fact he would love the opportunity to play for the Columbus Blue Jackets one day. On April 3, 2017, Roslovic made his NHL debut. The Jets took on the Blue Jackets at Nation Wide Arena. Roslovic’s family was in attendance.
So needless to say when the Blue Jackets and Jets struck the blockbuster trade Roslovic was ecstatic as he was heading home to Columbus. Here was a player who wanted (very badly) to play for the Blue Jackets, no “buy in” was needed.
As it turned out Jack Roslovic stood out in an otherwise bad season for the Columbus Blue Jackets. Roslovic’s near point-per game was right around .75 only Cam Atkinson and Oliver Bjorkstrand were able to sustain that this season for the Blue Jackets.
Not very good in the face-off circle Roslovic was not asked to take many. Also, Roslovic has many deficiencies defensively. Yet, many hockey experts and the Columbus Blue Jackets believe Jack Roslovic is just starting to scratch the surface of what he can do offensively.
Proving his worth, the Blue Jackets could use (depending on what the team does during free agency) Roslovic as the second line center. His numbers back it up. Last season Max Domi was the Blue Jackets second line center and struggled mightily.
Domi struggled so much so, that it would be hard for the Blue Jackets to justify keeping Roslovic on the third line when he should be given second line minutes.
Jack Roslovic played with consistency during the 2020-21 season and should continue to grow into an even more valuable player for the Columbus Blue Jackets.
When the announcement was made that Disney + was developing an Obi-Wan Kenobi show and that Ewan McGregor (Kenobi- in the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy) was reprising his role as the beloved Jedi Master, Star Wars fans turned their attention to another possibility the return of Jar Jar Binks.
Jar Jar Binks, played by Ahmed Best (again in the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy) was met by mixed reviews from the Star Wars fan base. Some fans hated the character, some fans loved the character, while others had no formed opinion or at least they did not voice them.
Jar Jar Bink provided some comic relief in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. Given the character backlash at the time his role was scaled back in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones and Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.
Still the moment Disney announced the Kenobi (one season) streaming show, fans began to talk and actually hope for the return of Binks. Time will do that to a person. Soften to the point that a once vilified character is seen through kinder eyes.
As fans talked about a possible reunion between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Jar Jar Binks, Ahmed Best took to social media to squash any thought, hopes and rumor.
“Thanks for the love, but I will not be in this series. As much as I would’ve loved to be a part of it. But I’m ecstatic to see folks who I love dearly back together doing great things.” Best posted.
So there it is. It is hard to refute any other thought when it comes from the main source. Still, it seems that Star Wars fans would be open to a Jar Jar Binks appearance at some point as Star Wars now has a bright future.
Will it happen? Perhaps. Disney has gotten better at giving fans what they want. We shall see at some point.
From May right through October from 8:00am until noon the streets of Worthington Ohio are packed. Packed full of shoppers and vendors. The feel is laid back. The best part is if you need it, want it or are looking for it chances are good you will find it at the Worthington Farmer’s Market.
Fruit, veggies, flowers, salsa, honey, bee’s wax. All can be found and had Saturday’s. Small businesses thrive in this scaled back market. Fresh breads and meats are also available. The vendors come from all over Ohio just to take part in the event.
What makes a very pleasant tradition even more pleasant is the people. Shoppers and vendors alike enjoying talking with each other. Strangers become quick friends and businesses find lifelong shoppers.
Farming is, was and will always be the backbone of the country. It is great to be able to help them out, while shining a spotlight on their labor. One other thing that should be noted is unlike many Farmer’s Markets who run spring through fall, Worthington believes in year round support. The Worthington Farmer’s Market runs year round.
That is right. When the curtain comes down on the summer market, the event is moved to The Shops at Worthington Place from November to April. Worthington established the Farmer’s Market in 1987.
If you go hungry to the market do not worry there are many places to stop and grab a bite to eat. Not to mention all the shops are open as well. Making the experience more enjoyable.
The prices are very reasonable nothing crazy and the fresh fruits and veggies and whatever else you purchase are as fresh as can be, may times just picked that morning.
The Worthington Ohio Farmer’s Market is charming and well worth looking into. No matter if you live in Columbus or elsewhere in Ohio or anywhere else. Do yourself a favor and check it out.
When Boba Fett entered Jabba the Hutt’s palace and sat down on his throne, at the end of Season 2 of Disney +’s smash hit “The Mandalorian” fans drooled with anticipation as “The Book of Boba Fett” was announced. The main question surrounding the announcement was would the new Star Wars offering be a one and done show like the upcoming Obi-Wan Kenobi show? A new rumor says no.
Boba Fett, one the the most beloved Star Wars characters in the Star Wars universe made his triumphant return to the Star Wars scene in this past season of “The Mandalorian.” How was this possible you may ask?
According to the old Star Wars Legends book (which were not considered cannon) Fett used his jetpack while inside the Sarlaac Pit in which he had fallen into during the sail barge incident in “Return of the Jedi.”
Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni allowed that to become cannon when the old Bounty Hunter returned. The “Book of Boba Fett” show is working under the title of “Buccaneer” the crew was given some stickers for working on production.
#SpoilerAlert: Before we shared these rumored #TheBookOfBobaFett crew graphics, there was speculation #Buccaneer was the working title for Mando S3 even as of early December – before Boba's show was revealed.
Notice the sticker that reads “Star Wars, The Book of Boba Fett,” also reads Season 1 under the heading. Hinting that there will be more than one season. The news was joyful to Star Wars fans.
Not only did a popular character return. Not only was he getting his own spinoff show. But now it appears that show will be more than one seasons. How many seasons? That is the million dollar question. But for now knowing it will be more is good enough.
“The Book of Boba Fett” is set to begin streaming Christmas Day 2021.
In 2005 Dave Filoni was handpicked by George Lucas to work on “Star Wars: The Clone Wars.” Filoni would climb the ladder from that point on. It has been long rumored that Dave Filoni would be or was in charge of all things Star Wars. But, nothing was set in stone. That is until this past week.
The new news actually is not new. Well it is in the way that is has only just now been made public. The promotion Dave Filoni received was actually given about a year ago. Now it seems that he reports directly to Kathleen Kennedy the President of Lucasfilm.
Dave Filoni is a fan favorite of all Star Wars fans. They feel (with good reason) he can do little to no wrong with all things Star Wars. Filoni is credited with widening the Star Wars universe.
Filoni is also very involved with Disney+’s “The Mandalorian.” Now the creator and executive producer of the newest Disney+ Star Wars offering the animated series, “Star Wars: The Bad Batch,” has Filoni’s legend growing among Star Wars faithful’s even more.
This past week fans found Dave Filoni’s updated role at Lucasfilm on the company’s site. This lead to joy filled fans sharing the news and their thoughts on social media.
Every message was positive. In my opinion this is a very good moment for Star Wars. The future is in good hands. What makes me say that? For starters, Dave Filoni is a huge Star Wars fan. He was well before he worked on “Star Wars: The Clone Wars.”
Dave Filoni has a very good feel for the Star Wars universe and how to make it all work together. As news spread about Filoni’s promotion, the Lucasfilm site crashed as fans by the droves wanted to check and read for themselves the good news.
This is a very good and exciting time for Star Wars. With Dave Filoni calling the shots it is a safe bet more outstanding Star Wars content is headed out soon.